Saturday, March 6, 2010

Fig Jam....

Our next door neighbour has a fantastic fig tree that hangs over our driveway.
We lose a lot that fall before we're ready to do anything with them which is a pain to rake up and discard. We also lose some to the laurekeets and the devotees that just love figs who call by for a handful or five.
So before they disappeared completely I picked a few kilos to make some fig jam.
Normally I would have made the 'straight' jam with fruit and sugar that my dad taught me how to make but I decided to do something different. I found a recipe that calls for vanilla pods and cinnamon sticks and lemon. It's a cracker! An absolutely divine brew of 8 jars of fig jam that I don't think will last too long.I also found another recipe that uses granny smith apples, cinnamon sticks and star anise. I think I'll have a go at that one next but given the reaction of the residents I might have an argument on my hands!

1 comment: