As the quilt is destined to be a lap quilt I wanted to keep the quilting loose and snuggly so I opted to quilt either side of the seams and just around the diamonds. This took quite a bit of time but was very easy to do. (I think I'm preferring my walking foot to my darning foot these days and seem to have lost my stippling mojo! But that's another story.) I used a grey thread and this looks unobtrusive against both the black and the white fabrics.
The binding is a fabric called Baby Safari from Spotlight. I'm not normally one for 'road kill' type prints but I did like the diagonal movement of the print. It works well as a binding.
The backing fabric is from Ikea from their Cecilia range. Unfortunately it's currently out of stock but I understand they're going to get more in around October. At $6.95 a metre and 150cm wide it's a real bargain. I didn't have to join the back at all which is always a bonus in my book.
The finished quilt measures around 140cm x 160cm.
If you want to make a value quilt there's a great tutorial here. The trickiest thing is determining the 'value density' of your fabric. It was a little easier using just monotone prints but it's not foolproof. I used 6 1/2" squares and that seemed to work out quite well. I have to admit that I didn't square up my squares are rejoining the triangles but it didn't seem to cause any problems....I don't think they were that out.
This quilt has gone into the cupboard ready for a Christmas present.