Friday, June 12, 2009

There is a time and a place....

I've never had a problem with having more than one project on the WIP sheet at any one time. Particularly when it comes to quilting. Some things need to be approached when you're either 'in the mood' or you can have a good run at it. Personally, I like to cut out fabric on Friday's because that means you can stitch on the weekend.
Today I was 'lucky' enough to get the day off work to stay home and look after the children whilst they're in 'home isolation' (it sounds so much better than quarantine, don't you think?). They've completed all the homework their teachers had set so for all intents and purposes, that's a quilting day! (R said I was like the substitute teacher that lets the class get away with murder!)
So I sandwiched the red and white disappearing 9 patch before breakfast. Stared at it for a while and contemplated it's size and how much time I'd need to quilt it. To resolve the dilema, I thought I'd cut out some fabric.

Our lounge features the one thing that ever got renovated. (We bought our house because very little had been changed.) The previous owners had removed the original Victorian fireplace and replaced it with a 1930's bungalow style glazed brick number. The terracota colour of the brick is so strong and tends to dictate any colour scheme we choose for that room. So when we were visiting Mt Tamborine, QLD back in April I found these beautiful fat quarters of Wyndham fabrics that are supposed reproductions of Civil War prints (hey, I bought it!) in shades of dark pink, terracotta and brown, I had to have them. I've co-ordinated them with some Denyse Schmidt Country Fair and eventually had enough to make a reasonable sized quilt. Then comes the dilema of what to do with them! I've really enjoyed the construction of the Old Red Barn Co's quilt along quilt so I've decided to do something similar for the 'lounge quilt'. Because I've got fat quarters, I can't go full width which means my blocks can't be as deep so I'll join 5 strips of the 2 1/2" strips instead of the 6 and cut them into smaller 10 1/2" blocks.
Before I knew it, all the cutting was completed by early afternoon and the pieces have been re-packed neatly ready for the moment of construction.
Then in between 'silly sentences', a load of washing and a pot of vichyssoise I went back to the red and white and began stippling. Now it's the end of the day and I'm about 2/3rds done! just have to be in the mood!

No comments:

Post a Comment