Sunday, January 9, 2011

Solid foundations.....

Finally, something quilty to share! It's been so hectic around here, what with Christmas and school holidays, study and assignments and then back to work all in the blink of an eye. There just hasn't been any time to sit and sew. And more to the point, because I don't have a dedicated sewing space my lovely new Bernina has been packed away in its box awaiting my long overdue introductory lesson. Once that happens there'll be no stopping me!
This is a quilt that I've been planning for my brother who lives in Melbourne. Sorry about the photos - I either need a new camera or try not to take photos on glorious summer mornings!
When he was visiting last year he spied the green Ikea bird fabric in my stash and we got to talking about favourite colours which in his case were greens, blues and browns. It got me thinking about a quilt out of solids....and only the ones in my cupboard.
I toyed with a zillion ideas, many of which were out of solids and relied on subtle graduations of colour....which I didn't quite have and because I'm really trying not to buy anymore fabric. So in the end the 'lazy gal/square in a square' concept won out.
It was certainly an interesting experiment....I got a little freer and bolder as my desire not to waste any of the strips I'd cut grew. This yields the most interesting of blocks as bits of colour are joined to obtain the right strip length.
The blocks ended up 17" and whilst the flimsie is hanging on its side on the clothes line so as not to get dirty, it will end up around 77 x 60".
I love the little colour swatches that will run either top right or bottom left.....probably bottom left as JP is a leftie! And as always, the backs are just as interesting, particularly with the sunshine behind them to light them like stained glass.
Now to hit the floor for a bit of basting!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Theresa, I love that!! Fantastic look and the colours are lovely...ew hate the basting part though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely T! Inspiring stuff....

    ReplyDelete