Friday, June 7, 2013

Trip the light fantastic....

After a giant leap into the new year with a Scrappy Trip Around the World back in January...(just like quite a few of us!), the rate of progress slowed to a virtual snail pace leaving the quilt top languishing for a while. Mind you, I wasn't ignoring it...I just had a few study issues to sort out like major assignments and exams! Now that they're over for the moment and seeing as this quilt is intended for someone special by July, I thought I'd better get myself into full throttle and finish this little beauty up.
The intended loves green and her room features a lot of saturated rainbow colours. So each block has a bit of green. I know this quilt is known as 'scrappy' but I can assure you, to get the desired look I cut into quite a few horded fabrics.
I debated about how to quilt, almost deciding to attempt some dogwood or orange peel effect but fell back to the trusty stipple. As part of the process, I quilted one block row at a time, moving to the left, right and down, then up. That probably doesn't make a great deal of sense but it was a wonderful way of keeping the quilt moving evenly. The other bonus was that working with the 2" frame, the stipples are very evenly sized and quite dense. I'm thrilled with it!
Because of the mesh of colours and prints I decided to keep the binding really simple and went with a solid chocolate which works wonderfully framing the backing which is a Bonnie and Camille, lime and aqua from thier Vintage Modern range.
A lovely finish for this week and linked up with Crazy Mom's Finish it up Friday.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely indeed! I still can't keep my eyes off mine! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scrappy Trips is a great pattern & I love yours! Also have to say that I'm very happy to have stumbled across your blog again; this time I'll bookmark it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful quilt! I'm sure that the recipient will love it. I understand what you mean about cutting into prized fabrics to achieve balance in a scrappy quilt. I just completed a coin quilt with 60 different fabrics, and I did the same thing! The end result is so worth it though!

    -Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors in your trip. It's another one that is on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt - love the splashes of green throughout it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colors you chose for your quilt:)

    ReplyDelete